Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda...


Ah, how time flies. For awhile there, I thought Corps training would never end.

Now, I suddenly find myself living in a charming little clubhouse in the middle of the Maryland wilderness, set to begin my first official spike project tomorrow. For the record, I feel quite legit at the moment.

My team and I will be working at Camp Conowingo, a sleep away camp for Girl Scouts, between now and early April. Our tasks will include fixing up trails, repairing buildings, and sprucing up the joint in general before the Scouts arrive for the summer.

I'm blogging at the local McDonald's tonight, so there's not much time to compose my thoughts. Updates will be few and far between, most likely, given how secluded our first project is.

But, hey, I've got some photos for ya:


Learning the "Thriller" dance from my teammate and dance expert Jayme. A couple of dozen Corps members from the unbeatable Badger unit performed the dance in full zombie makeup for the NCCC talent show. I held my own as an undead person.


My three roommates from the AmeriCorps dorms: Peyton (on the top bunk), Josh (also my Badger 6 teammate, seated on the lower bunk) and Aaron (lying down and giggling). This was the day we were all officially inducted as AmeriCorps members. These guys are hilarious.

Me in my "AmeriTux" on Induction Day. In case you couldn't tell from previous photos, we have to wear gray AmeriCorps uniforms with khaki-colored cargo pants while on duty. But for special occasions, Corps members get to rock the white polo and black pants. Classy.

Our accommodations at Camp Conowingo. This is the "staff house," equipped with a kitchen, washer and dryer, bathroom with shower, and several mats for sleeping. Not the Ritz, but it'll do.

A little taste of the picturesque wilderness surrounding the camp. It's quite beautiful out here, although torrential rains have rendered the grounds a little sullen-looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment